Not all CAC readers are built the same. And that goes for compliance too. While they may work for your purpose, only a few smart card readers out there are actually TAA compliant. So if you’re looking for a top notch CAC reader that is compliant with most security protocols, keep reading this IOGEAR GSR202 CAC Reader review!
The IOGEAR CAC Reader definitely catches our eye as one of the best smart card readers on the market today.
Not only does the GSR202 have TAA compliance, but it’s FIPS-201 compliant also. This means that this CAC card reader is trusted by the US federal government to read and maintain your data. But it’s more than just a bunch of fancy certifications. This IOGEAR CAC reader is fast and efficient.
It operates at a speed of 825 kbps in order to deliver fast responses and minimize your waiting times. The reader is also designed for maximum connect-ability between your card and the reader itself. The electrical contacts inside the reader have been specifically placed to prevent any misreadings of your CAC and untimely disconnections.
- Suitable for applications in government, healthcare, banking, entertainment, and secure network login
- Supports multiple Smart Card protocols. FIPS-201 Compliant: Meets US Federal Information Processing Standard Publication 201
- FIPS-201 Compliant: Meets US Federal Information Processing Standard Publication 201 . EMV 2000 Level 1 approved and support 3V and 5V cards. Designed for use with CAC software
- ISO7816 implementation - Class A, B, and C (5V / 3V / 1.8V) Card. USB 2.0 connection to increase reliability and ease of operation. Speed: 825kbps. Portable design. Power / scan LED indicator
- R-TRE.2: GSR202 conforms to the reader-to-host system interface of Personal computer/smart card (PC/SC) spec. R-TRE.3: Support Class A operating class as defined in ISO/IEC 7816-3: 1997 and ISO/IEC 7816-3:1997/Amd 1:200
Frequently Asked Questions About the IOGEAR GSR202 CAC Reader
What Operating Systems can I use this CAC Reader with?
This IOGEAR CAC Reader can be used for both Mac and Windows OS.
Does this CAC Reader have a warranty?
Yes! The IOGEAR GSR202 is backed by a three year warranty and free lifetime technical support.
What does TAA compliant mean?
TAA compliance means that a specific product has met the requirements of the Trade Agreement Act of 1979–essentially stating that the product is American-made or produced in an authorized designated country. In order for the US government to directly purchase goods, they generally have to be TAA compliant. This develops a modicum of trust between the producer and the government itself.
What does FIPS-201 compliant mean?
FIPS-201 (or Federal Information Processing Standard Publication 201) is a federal government standard designed to ensure the Personal Identity Verification of government employees or others. To learn more on this, click HERE!